FAQs | Boards and Commissions

Notice: We are currently accepting applications for the 2020 Speedway Boards and Commissions.
Click here to apply. 

FAQs - Becoming a Board or Commission Member

A list of common questions and answers are below. To see a complete list of our boards and commissions, including vacancies, see the Boards and Commissions page. Feel free to contact us with additional questions.

What is a Town of Speedway Board or Commission?

A Board or Commission is an independent body consisting of volunteer members who are appointed by public officials, usually the Town Council.

How many Boards and Commissions does the Town of Speedway have?

Currently there are 16 active boards and commissions in Speedway. These Boards cover a wide variety of topics from art to parks to redevelopment and more.

Who can serve on a Town of Speedway Board or Commission?

Speedway Boards and Commissions require members to be residents of the Town of Speedway. Most boards have more specific requirements that are described in the legislation or executive order by which they were created. Seats on the boards and commissions vary in length, requirement, and appointing body.

Why would I want to be a member of a Town of Speedway Board or Commission?

Appointment to a board or commission gives citizens of Speedway an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the advancement and governance of the town. Board members help shape the future of Speedway by lending their experience, judgment, and expertise.

What time commitment is expected of a board member?

Time commitment varies depending on the board. Some boards meet once a month, with additional preparatory work required between meetings. However, others meet quarterly or less, depending on requirements and responsibilities of the board. Board members serve terms that range from one to four years for most boards and commissions.

How do I become a member of a board or commission?

To be considered for an appointment or reappointment to a Town of Speedway Board or Commission an application must be submitted along with a current resume.

The application provides a space where you may list the boards in which you are interested. It is recommended you update your application and resume every two years, or whenever there is a change to your contact information. Sometimes vacancies become available outside of the annual reappointments. Applying for boards and commissions without open seats will add your name to the list in case we need to appoint someone mid-year.

If you need more information you may call the Town Manager’s office at 317-246-4120 or email Kelly Buck, Director of Communications at kbuck@speedwayin.gov.


Contact Us

1450 N Lynhurst Dr
Speedway, IN 46224
Get Directions