Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQ


Modified April 7, 2020

The Town of Speedway is closely monitoring the national outbreak of the novel coronavirus, now known as COVID-19. Residents are asked to follow the guidelines put in place by Marion County and the City of Indianapolis, as well as the health guidelines from the CDC. Below you will find answers to questions you might have and links to resources. 


Has Gov. Holcomb issued a "shelter in place" or "stay-at-home" order for Indiana?

Yes. In an executive order on March 23rd, Governor Holcomb ordered Hoosiers to remain in their homes except when they are at work or for permitted activities, such as taking care of others, obtaining necessary supplies, and for health and safety. The Stay-At-Home Order was renewed on April 20th, extending the end of the order to May 1st at 11:59pm. 

During this time, you must follow strict social distancing guidelines. For you and your family, that means staying home unless you work for an essential business or are doing an essential activity. In order to flatten the curve, lessening the burden on our hospitals and first responders, we must stay home.

  • Stay home unless you need to get groceries, prescriptions, gas, and supplies.
  • Stay home unless you need to seek emergency medical attention for you, your family, or your pets.
  • Stay home unless you must care for a family member, friend, or pet from another household.
  • And go to work only if you’ve been deemed exempt under the executive order.

You can find more information from Gov. Holcomb's office, here

Is this order mandatory?

Yes. This order is mandatory. For the safety of all Hoosiers, people must stay home and prevent the spread of COVID-19. 

Can I visit family and friends? 

For your safety, as well as the safety of all Hoosiers, you should remain at home to help fight the spread of COVID-19. You may visit family members who need medical or other essential assistance, such as ensuring an adequate food supply.

Do I need a letter from my employer in order to drive to and from work? 

No.  You do not need a letter from your employer. However, you should stay home unless your work is an essential function. If you have been designated essential by your employer, you should continue to go to work and practice social distancing. 

What if I think my business should be closed, but they are still asking me to report to work? 

If you believe your business is nonessential but still are being asked to show up to work, you may discuss it with your employer.

Businesses/employers must follow social distancing and sanitation requirements as outlined in the executive order and other safety measures established by the U.S. Department of Labor. Hoosiers concerned about their workplace safety can file a complaint with IOSHA by clicking on this link:

If an employer has questions regarding the essential business designation, call the Critical Industries Hotline at 877-820-0890 or email

Are Speedway Schools closed?

Due to Gov. Holcomb's executive order on April 3rd, schools will be closed the remainder of the year. During this time, students are instructed to follow extended learning lessons plans from home. Please see the school's website for details

Is the Speedway Town Hall closed?

Speedway Town Hall temporarily closed its doors to walk-in customers, this closure will continue until further notice. Additionally, our staff will be limited for their safety. During this time if you need to pay your water bill by phone, ask a question, or request a permit – please call 317-246-4111 and leave a voicemail. Someone will get back with you as soon as possible. You can also pay your water bill online or in the blue drop box in the Town Hall parking lot.

How do I pay my water bill while social distancing?

  • Utility bills can be dropped in the blue deposit box in the parking lot behind Speedway Town Hall
  • Call by phone during business hours at 317-246-4111 to pay or make changes to accounts
  • Pay online (click here for further instructions)

Can I still get permits during this time? 

The Town of Speedway also understands that work must continue on projects and homes, therefore those seeking a permit should call or email Sarah Adams at 317-246-4111 or Please note, staffing is limited at this time which may cause delays in obtaining permits. 

Is the Speedway Public Library currently open?

At this time the Speedway Public Library is closed to the public. However, the wifi is still connected and available in the parking lot for those who may not have access at home. We would also suggest you follow their Facebook page and website for details about online resources available while you're at home.

How can I support our local businesses?

Many of our local businesses and their employees are being hit hard as we practice social distancing. Some restaurants are offering carry-out or curbside menus for customers, while some have shut their doors until the restrictions are over. For more information and to find out what you can do to help, we suggest you follow your favorite businesses on Facebook, or visit Around Speedway Indiana for an up-to-date list of what's open by clicking here

Will there be Town Council or board and commission meetings?

At this time, all board and commission meetings have been postponed, including Speedway Town Council meetings. However, with the newest executive order from Gov. Holcomb, meetings can be held with some virtual attendance from leaders now. So keep an eye on our website, sign up for email alerts, and follow our Facebook page for updates. 

What services are still open from the Town of Speedway?

Town services including the Police, Fire, Water and Sewer Services will continue to operate normally, limiting the number of staff when possible. Ray’s Trash service will continue to run on their usual schedule for trash and recycling as well. Town employees will maximize the use of remote work and meet virtually whenever possible while maintaining operations. Speedway Library is currently closed and Speedway Schools are closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 year. 

Are Speedway Parks Open?

You are encouraged to continue staying active and spending time outdoors. Though the Parks Dept. has been open this past week, the newest executive order from Governor Holcomb orders more strict closures. The playgrounds, bathrooms, and shelters at Meadowood and Leonard Park will be closed until further notice. The walking path and trails remain open, but we ask that you continue to practice social distancing and remain 6-feet from other individuals and families. (Added April 3rd) The Speedway Parks Dept. has closed the ball fields, tennis courts, and horseshoe pits to further encourage compliance of the Stay-At-Home Order. 

How do I get more information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

General questions from the public or healthcare provider inquiries about COVID-19 may be directed to the ISDH COVID-19 Call Center at the toll-free number 877-826-0011 (available 24/7) or email

How do I contact someone at the Town of Speedway?

The following phone numbers should be used for calling specific departments, and “911” should be used for emergency purposes only:

  • Town Hall 317-246-4111
  • Police Department Administration/Non-Emergency 317-246-4300
  • Fire Department Administration/Non-Emergency 317-246-4300
  • Parks Department 317-246-4125 Library 317-243-8959
  • Public Schools Administration 317-244-0236

I am experiencing financial hardship, how can I get help with my utilities?

At this time, many utility companies are offering to make arrangements for payments and discontinuing their disconnect of services for the time being. Call your utility management company for details. Speedway Water customers who need to make arrangements for paying their water bills should contact Town Hall at 317-246-4111.

Is there a local food pantry open?

The St. Chris Food Pantry is open to the public and serves people from zip codes 46123, 46214, 46222, 46224, 46231, 46234, & 46241. They are open Tuesday and Friday mornings from 9 am - 10:15. Clients can come twice a month and need only provide proof of ID and address.

Are there any resources available for childcare?

Every community has a child care resource and referral agency to connect parents with local child care options and provide referrals for support. Families can find their local Child Care Resource and Referral by calling 800-299-1627 or by consulting this map.

I am currently out of work due to COVID-19. What resources are available?

  • First, file for unemployment insurance through the Indiana Department of Workforce Development. That can be accessed here. For more information on COVID-19 Worker Support, click here.

  • In response to an increase of inquiries regarding the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Indiana Dept. of Labor hopes to provide Hoosier employers and workers with information to keep themselves healthy and informed. Click here for information and FAQ about working during the pandemic.

  • The Department of Workforce Development (DWD) has suspended rules requiring certain unemployment insurance claimants to physically appear at a Work One location to engage in reemployment services for the next four weeks. This will ensure that individuals who may be symptomatic do not have to physically appear to continue their unemployment insurance eligibility

  • The Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) has 12 Workforce Regions throughout the state. At least one WorkOne is open in each region, except Marion County. DWD is working with that local WorkOne to ensure unemployment insurance claimants who need access to a computer have that access.

  • The DWD office in the Indiana Government Center South in Marion County is open from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and has computers available for use.

  • The DWD will also request flexibility under federal and state law to expand eligibility for claimants and ease burdens on employers.

  • Here is a link to FAQ on Unemployment Insurance:

  • Call volumes are extremely high, so you are encouraged use visit first for guidance. If you don’t find the information you’re seeking on the website, reach the Indiana Department of Workforce Development unemployment contact center via the following methods: 

How can I volunteer to help?

There are a few ways you can help while staying safe:

  • Check-in on your elderly and at-risk neighbors. Consider leaving a note on their door or making a phone call to see if they need help picking up groceries, medications, or any other errands. Please remember to follow the CDC's guidelines for social distancing

  • Hoosiers who can donate blood are encouraged to visit local blood centers. Blood supplies are low. Please follow the guidance at

  • Consider "social distancing" as "physical distancing" instead. Make sure you're reaching out to friends, family, and coworkers who may be feeling alone and possibly scared. Phone calls, text messages, emails, letters, etc. are all encouraged. Even taking a walk around the neighborhood and waving hello could brighten someone's day! Stay connected while staying apart. 

Take Care of Yourself

There is a lot of misinformation and incorrect information on the internet. Please refer to primary sources when looking for information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Here are a few that might be helpful:
If you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus:
  • Stay home unless you need to seek medical care.

  • Clean your home following the CDC’s guidelines

  • Avoid public areas and public transportation

  • Stay away from others as much as possible, especially people who are the most at risk such as older adults with multiple medical problems and those with a weakened immune system

  • Don’t shake hands

  • Seek prompt medical attention if your illness is worsening such as difficulty breathing and call your doctor or healthcare facility before you seek care.

  • Individuals over 60 years of age or those with a known underlying health issue such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or chronic respiratory disease should limit their public exposure. Whenever possible, friends and family should arrange to provide food and other essential items.

  • If you think you may have COVID-19

    • Call your doctor

    • Call State Health Dept Line 317-233-7125

    • Also you may call COVID-19 Triage Line 317-621-5500

More information may be found at the ISDH website at and the CDC website at

Contact Us

1450 N Lynhurst Dr
Speedway, IN 46224
Get Directions